Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Twitter Problem

The problem is an issue of who, what and where.

A fair amount of people have twitter accounts, some people have multiple ones, I am one of those people.  Though recently I have grown tired of using multiple accounts and remembering what each one is for.  I have one that I used to write my thesis, one personal account, and one slightly more professional account.  Remembering what to post where, and who can see what has grown old and confusing.

I have opted to start using only my semi-professional one (Twitter.com/JWeekz) but this creates problems.  Having linked it to all my various social media platforms, both professional and personal, not only can my friends see it, but also perspective employers, my employees, my coworkers and my college buddies.  There always is the potential to be watched, so I have to be careful about what I say.  No matter how badly I want to tweet about that TT, I have to stop myself before I say something I may regret later.

Not only do I have to worry about what I say, but also who I follow.  While I don't think following my favorite musicians and movie stars is an issue, I want to be careful about what information I'm reveling about myself.  Political affiliations, obscure interests, there are things that I don't want some people to know, but that I want to keep tabs on.  Thus the Twitter problem.  Do I follow them and not care who notices, or do I hide my interest from the prying eyes of whoever cares to check in on me?

Who sees what I tweet, what I actually tweet and where I tweet it: The Twitter problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment