Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Google+

So I have embraced Google+, and so far so good.  The only problem I can find is in the circles feature.

I like the ability to control who sees what but setting up circles takes a bit of time and can be tricky.  When I first started using Google+ it was easy.  I only had about 5 or 10 other friends who had it, so sorting them into circles was easy: Close friends, HR friends (high response) and Everyone.  Now that the stragglers are finally managing to get a Google+ account it is becoming more difficult.  Everyday I add about 2 or more people to various circles on Plus, and keeping track of where they are placed and correctly categorizing them has become much harder.  Not to mention I like creating entertaining categories like: I bet these people don't know I hate them, and UberNerds!

I have seen the number of circles that I have balloon from the original 3 to about 10 and growing.  I would say for every ten friends I add, I have to create a new circle or two, to properly categorize our relationship.  This is a far amount of work; moving people around, placing people in multiple circles and deleting them from their previous circles takes some serious time.

I know Facebook uses an algorithm that displays friends in your feed based on an affinity score, I wish Google would create something similar for circles.  It would simple enough to add a circle suggestion tab and have it be based off of some Google+ affinity score.

I know Google+ is only a baby but this small change would make using it a lot easier.

...And has the Internet reached a consensus yet?  Is it Google+ or Google Plus?  Decide soon interwebs.

No comments:

Post a Comment