Monday, August 15, 2011

Why let it trend?

The internet can be a racist, sexist, bigoted place as we all know, but it can also be a positive place where people stick up for and defend the rights of others.  Both sides of this can be seen on Twitter, where from time to time surprisingly offensive trending topics can pop up.
I remember a few weeks ago I was looking through my Twitter stream, and was caught with shock when I noticed that #blamethemuslims was a TT; I decided to check out why this was trending and what people were saying about it.  Most of the tweets were in fact not racist at all, but instead in solidarity with the Muslim people.  While there were a few offensive ones, but most read things like “#blamethemuslims for math and writing” or “don’t #blamethemuslims their faith is hijacked by those who don’t understand”.  I find this to be a very interesting concept, the people who are stating positive sentiments are the very ones keeping a very offensive hashtag trending.  This seems a bit backwards to say the least, inspiring what one is arguing against.
To me this shows how desperate for attention people are.  If they really cared, the best thing to do would be to completely ignore the TT or at least try to start a trend with something more positive, like #dontblamethemuslims. 
I just wanted to vent my frustrations; I’ll be back later with a more substantive post.

No comments:

Post a Comment